Thursday, July 16, 2009

Customised!

I wish I'd taken a photo of my breakfast this morning before I snaffled it down because it was AWESOME!

On Fridays, I often treat myself to a naughty coffee + baked good breakfast. I generally try to pick something healthy-ish, but it's definitely a "treat meal" for me. I love the feeling of indulgence you can get from a brown-bagged breakfast after a week of wholesome (and delicious, of course) oats and fruit!

So this morning, I decided to go to my favourite bagel place- it's only in Wellington and I really miss it- to see what they had on offer. What's particularly awesome is their $5 bagel + schmear + coffee deal. Last time I enjoyed a treat breakfast there, I had a delicious blueberry bagel with blueberry lemon cream cheese. YUM! They also make a to-die-for banana walnut bagel.

Sadly, there were no banana bagels today, and the blueberry-lemon schmear was not on the board. There were cinnamon raisin bagels, but none of the cream cheese flavours appealed, so I just grabbed a low-fat plain and headed back to the office.

But it felt like something was missing. Luckily, I had a bag of sliced almonds in my office, so I thought I'd add some of those. Then I remembered the honey in the kitchen, so I splurted a wee bit into the cream cheese and mixed it round. While I was stirring, I noticed some cinnamon I'd left in the office, so added a generous dash. BOY- these simple additions made all the difference. My bagel and pear were a perfect breakfast and I'm STILL full now, at noon!

This was a great reminder that we don't have to just stick to what's on offer when we choose our instant meals. Whether it's adding cottage cheese and spinach to frozen meals, adding extra fruit to packaged instant oatmeal (I never do this now- I prefer my own "packaged" version..) or spicing up the cream cheese, there's a lot we can do to make a regular meal into a healthier or yummier version!

1 comment: